Positium Data Mediator (PDM) is a scalable mobile big data processing and analytics engine. PDM is suitable for use in both the public and private sectors, with applications in population statistics, mobility studies and tourism data.
Positium Data Mediator is our central nervous system, our flagship product that pools together years of experience of how to assure quality in mobile positioning data and is expandable to any country, any mobile operator, and many domains. More than 550 man-months have been invested into developing Positium Data Mediator and its methodology, making it the most sophisticated mobile big data processing system out there.
PDM is a modular system comprised of several elements of data processing:
- import model
- geographical interpolation model
- core data model
- a series of domain-specific modules for population statistics, mobility and tourism
- data serving API
- a number of interactive web applications for the dissemination, presentation and analysis of the results.
Our system uses several models in data processing to provide the highest quality results and analysis from mobile positioning data. Quality assurance is important for us and our clients. That’s why PDM goes through extensive quality checks on input data and three separate stages of data cleansing before aggregating and producing the results.
What makes PDM special is that the system:
- can process both historical data and near-real time data feeds – think of it as a time machine;
- is model-based, which insures that the data processing always follows certain steps to assure the high quality of results;
- can be customised based on clients’ needs, from choosing the desired time frame for analysis to selecting different levels of precision in location analysis;
- is automated, making it easy to use;
- allows making sophisticated queries about the spatio-temporal behaviour of humans;
- can be set up as a centralised system integrated with, for example, the system of a national statistical office or distributed on the premises of MNOs.
Positium Data Mediator was created using methodology developed in academic cooperation with the University of Tartu. Its purpose is processing location data from several mobile network operators into meaningful and reliable statistical indicators about the aggregated locations and movement flows of people.